Sorry for the long break between posts – I haven’t been in the right frame of mind to write.
The class has been great fun, and over three lessons, I finished the statue.
I had to make some changes – she ended up wearing a long dress instead of a bikini, as the chicken wire armature was too big to allow me to shape her as I wanted – she would have had HUGE legs which would have detracted from the parts of her that were actually supposed to be huge!
And she won’t be holding a planter as her arms aren’t strong enough to hold a pot filled with soil.
Other than that, I’m happy with my first attempt…
Using a wet and rough mix of concrete, small gravel, and sand (and wearing rubber gloves) we squeezed the mix into the metal armature:
This time, we wet the statue with water, brushed it with concrete glue, and started to build it up with a mix of concrete and sand (no gravel).
I soon learned that you had to do it in stages – I tried to add big boobs and a big bottom – but the concrete was too heavy, and kept sliding and falling off.
Patience, Veronique, patience.
More water, concrete glue and concrete, this time adding bulk, shape and detail:
To finish her off, I used medium-grade sandpaper to smooth off any rough bits, and then brushed her with cement glue to fill in small holes, and to even-out the surface: