It’s finally up! Yipee!!!!
The delay has been due to the bottom length of wood – it was warped so kept falling off the wall, despite Alf’s best efforts to screw and nail it on.
Then, our ex-builder, Joselito, came a-visiting, and worked his magic. What a star!
Because everything here is built with hollow breeze blocks, you really need someone who knows how to work with them.
He ended up drilling bigger holes in the wood and wall. He then inserted chips of wood into the holes, along with the wallplugs, and bolted the wood to the wall, chiselling lumps out of it, so he could countersink the bolts.
So now we know for next time!
Though, if there is a next time, I think we’ll just pay Joselito to do it. It took him ages, and would take us forever!
After filling all the holes and gaps with Woodfiller, sanding it back, and touching up the paint, I stapled wire mesh to the frame:
It also looks nicer.
The passionfruit vine is in place: I dug a large hole, replacing the rubble-filled soil with compost, and the topsoil we bought, and watered the passionfruit thoroughly with Seasol (seaweed extract) as it helps reduce transplant shock. I’ll also be giving it a deep soaking everyday, and mulching it with seaweed.
I used some of the rocks I dug out of the garden to make an edging so that we don’t trample all over the roots and damage them further. I can remove the edging down the track (though what I’ll do with the rocks is another thing!).
I don’t know whether it will survive. It’s been in the raised bed for about 9 months, and the roots had burst through the container it came in, and grown into the soil. They had spread pretty far, and although I tried not to damage them, I did.
To compensate for the broken roots, I pruned it back very hard.
It’s looking pretty sad.
If it lives, I’ll tie it to the mesh until it starts climbing on its own.
If it dies, we’ll be heading back to the nursery at Labourdonnais for a new plant.
But as this is Mauritius, and plants do their own thing here, I’ll just wait and see.
OK, explain this to me – metal doesn’t stretch, and plastic, tiles and grout don’t shrink – so how did the pot stand and pot go from this:
I went to remove the pot so that I could work on the stand, but it was stuck – I can’t get it out!
It was much too big for the ring before. What’s going on? I’m completely baffled!
Maybe we have fairies living at the bottom of the garden.
Very, very weird!
I’m probably going to have to knock some tiles off to get it out.
Anyway, I’ve finished the other stand – I tried using a wire brush to remove the loose paint and burgeoning rust, but didn’t find it very effective, so I used coarse sandpaper, which worked really well.
So I didn’t – I don’t need much encouragement to save myself a lot of work!
After a quick wipe, I gave it three coats of purple paint (very time-consuming!).
I’m not sure whether I like the purple – it’s a bit much. I may end up changing the colour.
I’ll also be making mosaic tiles to stand them on, to keep the feet out of wet sawdust.
Anyway, one down, and one to go.
Once I get the pot out!
Everything’s growing well with the exception of the pawpaw, chili hibiscus, and some of the Madagascan frangipanis, which all got badly infected with white mould.
It looks disgusting, and deforms and kills the leaves, and if left untreated, ultimately kills the plant. And it spreads.
Because the pawpaw tree was too tall for me to reach (and it was soooo disgusting!), Alf kindly removed most of the leaves, and sprayed everything with a mixture of milk and water (1:3 parts), re-spraying every couple of days. We used fresh milk as opposed to UHT.
It seems to be working – it’s certainly killing the mould – but we’ll have to wait and see whether the plants survive. Both chili hibiscuses have already died.
Alf will keep spraying the other plants with the milk solution until there is no sign of mould left, then I’ll spray with Seasol to give them a bit of a health boost.
I also promise to be more vigilant in future, and to spray at the first sign of mould. Amen.
So all in all, it’s been a productive month, seeing an end to some of the projects that have been sitting around unfinished for the past year or so, and a start to others.
And best of all, I can now start work on the raised bed, and move the pile of soil that’s been sitting in the driveway for months! Finally!
The idea I had about using hessian as a weed mat has gone by the wayside – when we came back from Perth, as expected, the grass had all grown back.
But what I didn’t expect, was to find that it had grown through the small holes in the astroturf!
If it can grow through astroturf, I’ll have no chance with hessian!
So I’m back to the poisoning option, with one difference:
A friend told us she did a similar thing back in Scotland, but instead of using a paintbrush, she put on rubber gloves, then a sock on top of that, dunked her hands in the poison solution, and wiped it over the grass.
Quicker than the paintbrush, and hopefully, less splashing of poison onto the surrounding plants.
I’ll definitely be raiding Alf’s sock drawer and giving that a go. Thanks, Linda.